In 1717, began construction of the upper Belvedere. In 1723, it was already finished, but the architect Hil′debrandtu had to change his project because of the threat of collapsing walls. So there are vaulted ceilings, preserved to our days. The upper palace was turned into a representational residence of the Prince. There were numerous guest bedrooms, living rooms and banquet halls.
The childless Prince bequeathed the palace to his niece, who sold it to the Royal couple. Empress Maria Theresa moved a significant part of the collection of paintings and art from the Hofburg there. Inspired by the idea of enlightened absolutism, she wanted to expose all the riches of the pravâŝiej dynasty at universal. Today at both palaces are placed picture galleries, with collections of painting, from the period of the middle ages up to contemporary art. Especially guarded is the Palace and Park complex: three-tiered garden with two large Cascades, pools, fountains, shapes, muses and Roman gods.